If you're a first time soon-to-be mom or a seasoned pregnancy pro, you'll be needing some maternity clothes that make you feel amazing. Especially on those days when you feel less than amazing.
Pregnancy Fashion Tips
- Invest in great basics then layer adorable tops, sweaters and jackets that coordinate well together. This will help you to make the most of your clothing budget. Layers are big for fall. And that's good for pregnant ladies. Simply remove a sweater when the pregnancy furnace kicks in.
- Add a couple dresses. Not only are they good value (a top and bottom in one) but they're quick and easy to throw on when you're exhausted. No thinking required.
- Look for tops or belts that show off the narrowest part of your body - under your bust or hips. This will show of your beautiful cuves and avoid the unflattering tent look
- Invest in some comfortable, shorter heeled but beautiful shoes. You might find your feet spread up to another size during pregancy so for comfort sake, don't bother cramming them into your pre-pregnancy shoes.
- To bring sophisticaion to an outfit by adding big earrings or chunky necklace. They will pull the eye up towards your lovely glowing face.
- With a growing belly, you can easily carry a gorgeous big bag this season. It will balance your body nicely. Pick one large enough that will double as a sassy diaper bag later.
The Winter 2011 images above, from MEXX Maternity, are great examples of how to pull together a sophisticated maternity look.
Where to Buy Maternity Clothes in Edmonton?
But where to find clothes besides the obvious Thyme Maternity?! We have compiled all the Edmonton stores, some online retailers and even new-to-you options. Happy Shopping and congratulations!
Overview: Tucked in a back corner is the very small maternity section. But you can count on H&M to have the latest trends in maternity styles.
Where: West Edmonton Mall, South Edmonton Common and Kingsway Mall
Overview: A nice selection of work wear and casual pieces with the same styling you adore.
Where: South Edmonton Common 2019 -99 Street and North Skyview 13666 -137 Avenue. (Not available at West Edmonton Mall)
Motherhood Maternity Canada
Overview: Check out the Heidi Klum collection, work wear and special occasion dresses.
Where: South Edmonton Common 9765-19th Avenue, West Edmonton Mall and Skyview North 3246-137th Avenue
Overview: Inexpensive pieces to last you one pregnancy.
Where: South Edmonton Common 1978-99th Street, West Edmonton Mall and Skyview North 13300-137th Avenue
Website: www.oldnavy.ca *Maternity clothing is currently only available in stores.
Overview: Look for the Instant Style collection for a no-brainer fall chic look - leggings & tunics.
Where: Kingsway Mall, South Edmonton Common 2015-99 Street, West Edmonton Mall, and Skyview North 13658 -137th Avenue. Recently has expanded into BabiesRUs but no change rooms are available.
Overview: Hip, trendy boutique for the fashionable mom to be! Great place to find unique styles, great fits and investment pieces you’ll wear constantly.
Where: 10122 -124 Street
Shop for Maternity Clothes Online
Overview: Gap Maternity is available on their US website only, but they will ship to Canada. They have reliable pieces with the Gap styling that you’ve come to love.http://www.gap.com/products/maternity-clothing.jsp
Overview: The Isabella Oliver Maternity collection has stylish and flattering maternity clothing in pregnancy friendly fabrics. The collection features signature wrapping and ruched detailing that not only complements the pregnant shape but also grows with you. Ships to Canada http://www.isabellaoliver.com/maternity-clothes/ca
Overview: Ripe is an Australian owned contemporary, fresh, stylish and most of all comfortable maternity fashion label. They focus on fit, flattering design and coordinated pieces. Ships to Canada. http://www.ripematernity.com
Previously Loved Maternity Wear
Baby-J Kids Klothes
Overview: Largest selection of gently worn maternity in Edmonton at great prices. One of the only places you can try on maternity clothing before you buy.
Where: 10120 127 Ave
Facebook Consignment Stores
Overview: Clothes are sold individually and are inexpensive. Purchase by responding to photo posts.
Where: On Facebook and pre-arranged meet-ups at set locations.
Overview: eBay has a lot of individual and boxed lots of items. Make sure to buy from a reputable seller and on’t be afraid to ask questions before purchasing.
Overview: Simply search Kijiji Edmonton and you'll find a variety of maternity clothing up for grabs. It's a nice way to purchase clothes from a local mom. Often they’ll throw in extras if you show up.
This maternity clothing store list was originally compiled by City and Baby for Urban Chickadee's Bump Camp. Their next session begins in January 2012. If we've missed any great places to buy maternity clothes, please comment below and we'll add it to the list.